Sunday, October 14, 2012

Silly Atheist! Truth is for Christians!

     In case the title doesn't make sense, think of that Trix cereal commercial with the "silly rabbit";  I have a great post in the works about Israel and communism (stay tuned!), but this interaction was so memorable I had to share it...
     I was studying when the Friendly Neighborhood Atheist (FNA henceforth) came over and we got to talking;  this guy has a Catholic background, is fairly intelligent and loves to quote Hitchens and Dawkins, so some of his objections are interesting and thought-provoking, but others (as you'll soon see) are laughable.  We've spent hours over the years debating and posing challenges to each other, and I do pray regularly for the regeneration that only can truly change his mind.  I have been faithful to proclaim the gospel to him, so my hands are clean of his blood (Ezk 3:18).
"Wow, that's a toughie!"
     So this day the proof of atheism given to me was truly incredible:  FNA halted our joking to pose this irreconcilable quandary that proves the Bible is false, and that every intelligent, rational person must reject its backward religion.  He said, "So how many folks were on the ark?  8?  So linguistically speaking, there's no possible way all our languages came from just 8 people with one language;  there had to be many groups that developed separate languages!"  I looked at him dumbfounded for a second before asking "You've never heard of the Tower of Babel?"  As patiently as possible, I turned to Gen 11 and read him the narrative there, the one that perfectly explains how the descendants of just 4 couples could have spawned a great variety of different languages.  I finished and looked at him.  He looked at me.  I asked, "Doesn't that perfectly explain things?"  He refused to concede, but the point of this sad-but-true story is to never underestimate the biblical illiteracy of our countrymen.  Since 97% of America couldn't tell you the difference between Judah and Judas, we must patiently and carefully educate our friends, coworkers, and families as to what the Bible actually says, in contrast to what the History Channel says it says.
 "Behold, the days are coming," declares the Lord GOD, "when I will send a famine on the land-- not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD."  (Amos 8:11; just for you, Jesse!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments worthy of the calling with which Christ calls us!