Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The silver lining...

God's sovereign choice for us
     I know many of you are reeling today;  while I wasn't particularly shocked, I am deeply grieved at our nation's stubborn insistence in choosing leaders who relish (probably unconsciously, to be gracious) thumbing their nose at God and His Law.  But is Rom 8:28 still true?  Sure it is;  I was meeting with a dear brother yesterday, and he was lamenting his employment status (none!).  He commented that his unemployment compensation was running out, and joked that the selfish thing for him to do would be to open his ballot (he waited until Election Day to turn it in!  Tsk tsk!) and change his vote to Obama;  it is likely that the President will push Congress to extend unemployment benefits out to a 99 week limit.  I have every confidence that my friend didn't change his vote;  but now through the apostasy of our nation, his financial future is a tad brighter and he can rest a little easier.  Also, I have a government job (through the county);  my unionized workplace is drowning in liberal rhetoric, but as much as I grit my teeth at it, it pays the bills.  Transportation funding and the expansion of government spending is a priority in Obama's platform, so it's likely I will not be downgraded to a part-time position (again!) in the near future.  So while the overall picture is depressingly grim, even now God is using our sin to bless His people in tangible ways, just like He's always done...
But when I thought how to understand this, it seemed to me a wearisome task, until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I discerned their end.  Truly you set them in slippery places; you make them fall to ruin.  How they are destroyed in a moment, swept away utterly by terrors!  Like a dream when one awakes, O Lord, when you rouse yourself, you despise them as phantoms.  When my soul was embittered, when I was pricked in heart, I was brutish and ignorant; I was like a beast toward you.  Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand.  You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory.  Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.  My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.  (Ps 73:16-26)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments worthy of the calling with which Christ calls us!